Griffin Georgia History
Since its inception in 1969, the mission of the Historical Association has been to preserve, share and promote the history of Griffin and Spalding County by preserving, preserving and promoting its history and heritage. We intend to document the people who have lived in Griffin County since the beginning of time, from the beginnings of our county to the present day and beyond.
Partners in this project include the Griffin County Historical Association, the Spalding County Collaborative and the Educational Prosperity Initiative, which is a subsidiary of the Spalding County Collaborative and others, as well as the University of Georgia and Georgia State University.
Griffin High School is the oldest public high school in Griffin, Georgia, and one of the largest in the state of Georgia. Griffin Technical College was founded in Griffin in 1963 and now has a branch of Southern Crescent Technical College on the Griffin Community College campus. There used to be Griffin High School, but now there are two high schools, Griffin Elementary School and Griffin Middle School. The Griffin County Community School District and Spalding County Public School System serve as local public school systems for Southernrescent Technical College students.
The Griffin Museum is located in the Welcome Center upstairs and houses Griffin artifacts and memorabilia, including some from the mid-19th century. The building currently houses the Griffin Historical Society, a museum of Griffin history and culture.
Many of the estate documents from the 1930s and 1940s are archived on microfilm in the Griffin Historical Society library of Georgia State University Library in Griffin.
After the merger, Griffin was home to a branch of Southern Crescent Technical College, which remained outside Griffin until 1963. Griffin Technical College: Griffin Technical College has been located near Griffin since 1963 and Griffin State University College of Engineering since 1974. After the merger of the two colleges, there was another department, Southernrescent Technical College, and it is now Griffin Community College.
Stephens was elected to Congress in 1960 and the company name was shortened to Fortson, Bentley & Griffin. After the death of the company's founder and president, John F. Bentley Jr., in 1961, his predecessor, Fortson Bentley Griffin, was founded in his place.
After taking office, Walker became the first principal of the newly integrated Griffin Middle School in Atlanta, Georgia. Originally, the school was called Griffin High School and was under the supervision of the Georgian Ministry of Education.
Griffin Hosiery Mills was founded in 1916 and when Georgia Cotton Mills merged in 1924 and Georgia Kincaid Mills was created, it was one of the largest mills in the city. Shortly after, the Hightower family from Thomaston, Georgia, bought it and started their own mill. The firm, known as Stephens, Fortson, Bentley & Griffin, was founded in 1955 by two of Griffin's first black attorneys, John Stephens and John Bentley, who were both single attorneys.
Grantland was elected vice president of the new company, while Georgia Kincaid Mills' first black manager, Dr. John Kinchaid, who had been transplanted from North Carolina, voted for the president.
Boynton died in his home in Griffin in 1902 and was buried at Oak Hill Cemetery in the same city. He may be resting right where he was born, in his mother's house, on the grounds of the Griffin County Courthouse, but he may not be resting there.
The Griffin County Courthouse in Griffin, Georgia, which is usually bordered by the Georgia State Capitol, Griffin River and River Road, is led by a statue of John Boynton, the first mayor of Griffin, in the center of the courthouse. The Griffin County Courtyard, a monument to the city of Griffin and its citizens, are generally bound by a wall of granite in front of it and lead it.
Griffin's first textile factory, founded by Seaton Grantland and operated for many years by W.J. Kincaid, was founded in the early 20th century by John H. Cheatham and his son John J. Cheatham Jr. In 1905, he founded Georgia KINCaid Mills, which merged most of Griffin's existing mills into one giant company.
Griffin, which is on the Macon Western Railroad, was also a hospital town and a target of Union looters. When Sherman moved into Atlanta, his army was divided into two wings that followed the general's course along the railroad. Most Georgians who fought with the Confederate Army were mobilized in Griffin, with the cavalry now marching through the city park and the infantry headed to Griffin Hospital, named for its location at the intersection of Griffin Road and Griffin Boulevard. Griffin was home to a cavalry unit, the famous Kentucky "orphan brigade," which became a cavalry unit after the use of horses captured by Union General George Stoneman.
On April 19, 1865, Confederate General James E. Lee and his men rode into Griffin, burned railroad facilities and distributed Confederate businesses to poor whites and blacks. One of the first monuments to Confederate dead was erected here in 1869, and Griffin had its own cemetery, Griffin Memorial Cemetery, as well as a monument to Confederate soldiers. Griffin High School was his first public school, from 1866 to 1868, and had one of Georgia's first high school football teams.